If you have a carpet at home, then you have to know how to clean it in between its scheduled professional cleaning appointments. Because let’s face it, dirt, grime, and stains happen and this is particularly the case when you have kids and/or pets at home.
However, the ways to clean carpets are not necessarily general knowledge. So, as experts in carpet and rug cleaning services in Singapore, we will share some tips on how to clean your carpet the most effective way possible.
The first step to cleaning your carpet is maintaining it. Vacuum your carpet frequently to provide the first line of defence against dirt and grit that can damage its fibres, wearing it out over time. If possible, vacuum on both sides of the carpet—you’ll find it more effective than just covering the top.
Are you vacuuming your carpets the right way? Below are some steps to follow:
1. Vacuum in one direction – Vacuum a row of carpet in one direction, wall-to-wall, instead of the back-and-forth you’re probably used to. Then, pull the vacuum back over the row you just vacuumed. This should lay the carpet back down and pick up dirt you might have missed on the first swipe.
2. Empty vacuum bag when it’s half-full – Always change your bag when half-full and don’t reuse them. Using your vacuum to its full capacity may cut its cleaning efficiency by 50% or more. The same goes when you reuse a disposable bag.
3. Vacuum slowly – Besides vacuuming in one direction, make sure to vacuum slowly to allow your machine to work up the carpet and suck up more dirt and dust. You would be able to tell if you’re getting against the nap if its fibres stick up or look a little messier.
4. Don’t wait too long before vacuuming – Just because your carpet isn’t visibly dirty doesn’t mean that it is not. Dirt and dust pile up underneath its fibres before you start noticing it, so it leads us back to our first tip: vacuum frequently. We recommend vacuuming at least once or twice a week.
Aside from frequent vacuuming, below are further tips on how to look after your carpets in between professional carpet cleaning services.
1. Remove indents and impression marks – Rotate your furniture every once in a while to keep them from leaving permanent marks on your carpet. In case it happens though, you can rub an ice cube over the affected area, fluff it up, and allow the area to fully dry.
2. Treat stains immediately – The key to a successful carpet stain removal is to get to the stain as soon as it happens. Blot carefully to avoid pushing the spill deeper into the fibres, thus making the problem worse.
3. Wash Well – Have your carpets washed professionally at least every 6 months. This should save you from the potential risks involved with DIY carpet and rug cleaning, particularly overwetting them, which may cause the dyes from the underlay to leak through.
May you find these tips useful for cleaning your carpets at home. But, remember, these are short-term solutions to maintain your carpets in between professional cleaning schedules.
The best way to keep your carpeting looking fresh and new remains to the hands of your carpet cleaners who have the skills, expertise, and equipment to successfully carry out the task.
For your carpet cleaning requirements, book an appointment with us at Clean Care today. Also, visit our website for more tips on how to clean your carpets and upholstery.