Fabric sofas are the epitome of style and comfort. They can be particularly cosy, thus why it’s an unstated agreement between the family to sit on them after a long, productive day.
However, being used on a daily basis, your upholstered furniture is also often the subject of dirt, spills, stains, and grime. Unless you’d rather adorn it with an unsightly plastic cover, you’ll have to know how to properly clean and maintain it.
In this article, discover some ways to maintain your sofa in between your scheduled upholstery cleaning services.
One way or another, your fabric sofa will eventually fall victim to spills and stains. The golden rule to follow in such a situation is to get to the stains quickly—a fast turnaround can be the difference in keeping the stains from becoming permanent on your upholstery.
1. Clean the stains immediately. When a spill or stains occur, get to cleaning immediately. Even a matter of a few -minutes delay can cause the stain to set, making it more difficult to remove.
2. Check manufacturer’s instructions. Always, always check the cleaning instructions before using any products. Failing to use the proper cleaning solutions could not only result in permanently damaged upholstery but could mean void warranties as well.
3. Read cleaning codes. The random letters that you see on the tags are actually cleaning codes:
When removing stains and spills from the fabric sofa, make sure to test in an inconspicuous area first before using any product for spot cleaning. Apply the solution with a clean cloth and in a circular motion to work into the fibres without further spreading the stain. Blot the problem area to rinse then vacuum to dry.
Aside from cleaning stains on your fabric sofa, it’s also essential to maintain your sofa in between professional fabric sofa cleaning services.
• Vacuum your upholstery at least once or twice a week to draw out all the loose dust, dirt, and other particles that could get in a way when steam cleaning your sofa.
• Spot clean any grime or light marks with a damp cloth regularly—and once or twice a month, use a cleaning product to do a much deeper cleanse.
• Consider putting a covering on your sofa to preserve its quality. However, a sofa cover may not always sit well with your interior design.
• Keep your sofa away from direct sunlight to protect it from sun and heat damage. Additionally, keep it away from items that produce heat such as radiators, pipes, and fireplaces.
• Engage professional sofa cleaning services at least every 6-12 months. This cleaning should guarantee your sofa will stay fresh and look like new for longer.
It’s essential to have your upholstered furniture professionally cleaned at least twice a year or so. We recommend having this done regularly before your sofa gets visibly dirty. Have any other stains to get rid of? Read for some tips on how to get blood stains out of your upholstery.
Clean Care is a professional cleaning company in Singapore that offers cleaning services for leather and fabric sofa. Visit our website today to learn more.